Skip to content
Home-made Nasal Saline Rinse
Nasal Saline Solution Recipe
Directions to Prepare a Nasal Saline Solution Recipe
- Clean a 1-Quart glass jar carefully, then fill it with bottled or boiled water.
- Add 1 or 2 heaping teaspoons of pickling or canning salt, or Kosher salt. If you use table salt, you may be getting a preservative and/or additive which might irritate your nose.
- Add 1 rounded teaspoon of baking soda (pure bicarbonate).
- Store at room temperature and shake or stir before each use.
- Mix a new batch weekly.
- Pour some of the mixture into a clean bowl. Warming it to body temperature may help, but make sure it is not hot.
- Fill a spray bottle or your WaterPik. To avoid contamination, try not to place the bulb or syringe into the jar.
- Stand over the sink or in the shower and squirt the mixture into each side of the nose several times.
- Rinse the nose with this nasal saline solution recipe at least two to three times daily.